Planned Ghost Hunting Events

In addition to our confirmed ghost hunting events we have penciled in the following preliminary investigation locations. So don't forget to bookmark this page Click here to bookmark these events! and return soon for confirmed dates. Southern Ghost Society members are emailed as soon as new events are confirmed another good reason to join us.
 
     
Ghost hunting event photo Woodchester Mansion Woodchester Mansion

The Grade 1 listed Woodchster Mansion, located in the beautiful Cotswolds in Gloucestershire, is absolutely unique in that its construction was never completed Will our ghost hunt help reconstruct the past through the spirits, who may still haunt this magnificent location ?

Building of this superb Gothic building with its stone vaulted ceilings, gargoyles, grand staircase and impressive chapel was started in the1850s. Will the ghosts of any of the 7 workmen who died, 6 from accidents and 1 from a reported murder, return, through our presence, to reclaim their tools which still remain on the site ?

Can we verify reports of a headless horseman said to ride in the grounds and to be the apparition of Sir Rupert de Lansigny who killed his cousin to inherit the large park and the former house demolished to enable construction of the current Mansion ? What happened to the spirit of the Dominican Monk who drowned himself in one of the park lakes and who is the man seen walking along the corridor to the Chapel, but never entering that room or the shadow of a man staring up at the stained glass windows ? Most intriguingly, are the reported sightings of a black dog wandering through the Mansion the ghostly representation of those linked to the building ?

Join us on a paranormal investigation night to remember as we go back in time at Woodchester Mansion and seek to uncover the truth behind the ghostly hosts of our visit.

Ghost hunting event photo Royal Victoria Country Park Royal Victoria Country Park

The Royal Victoria Military Hospital, or Netley Hospital was a large military hospital in Netley, near Southampton, Hampshire, England. Construction started in 1856 at the suggestion of Queen Victoria but its design caused some controversy, chiefly from Florence Nightingale. Often visited by Queen Victoria, the hospital was extensively used during the First World War.

It became the 28th US General Hospital from 1944 to 1945 during the Invasion of Europe. The main building - the world's longest building when it was completed - was entirely demolished in 1966, except for the chapel and former YMCA building which are both still standing. The extensive outbuildings, which once occupied a vast acreage of land to the rear of the main building, finally succumbed in 1978. The site of the hospital can be seen and explored in Royal Victoria Country Park.

Ghost hunting event photo Explosion Museum at Priddy's Hard Explosion Museum at Priddy's Hard

We are delighted to announce a further event, this time at the magnificent Explosion ! The Museum of Naval Firepower, based within 18th century buildings at the Royal Navy's former armaments depot of Priddy's Hard, in Gosport.

Since its completion in 1756, this depot has played an active part in conflicts from the Napoleonic Wars right through to the Falklands War. Just imagine the experiences of the thousands who worked (and died) in such a dangerous environment.

What caused the explosion which killed 27 people ? To whom do the ghostly footsteps belong and why is this person knocking on the door ? What causes a heavy chain to swing for no apparent reason and is the reported unnatural gust of wind really the spirit of a labourer who died at the scene ? Will we witness the manifestation of Edward George McBride on the exact same spot where he was killed nearly 90 years ago ?

So many reported paranormal experiences, which surely merits further investigation. We'd love you to join us for what is certain to be a fabulous Ghost Hunt night

We will have the pleasure of exploring this historical site away from the usual visiting crowds the only company we may have is from the past !

Ghost hunting event photo The Rifles Museum The Rifles Museum

The Royal Berkshire Regiment, with its Museum in Brock Barracks, Oxford Road, Reading, and The Wiltshire Regiment, whose Museum was in Le Marchant Barracks, London Road, Devizes, merged in 1959 to become the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire). However the two Museums continued on their separate sites for a number of years.

n the 1970s a new united site for both Regimental Headquarters and Museum Official Opening was sought in Salisbury. The Wardrobe, at first rejected on the grounds of the expense of conversion, was eventually selected and a 99 year lease was purchased from the Dean & Chapter of Salisbury Cathedral. The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment Museum was officially opened by HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel-in-Chief of the Regiment, on 29 July 1982. As part of a program to widen the appeal of the Museum the name "Redcoats in the Wardrobe" was adopted in 1991.

In 1994 the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment amalgamated with the Gloucestershire Regiment to form the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment. The Museum changed its name to reflect this, becoming the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment (Salisbury) Museum. The Museum was (and is) only concerned with the Berkshire and Wiltshire elements, the collection and archives of the Gloucestershire Regiment are housed in the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum, Custom House, Gloucester GL1 2HE.

Ghost hunting event photo Valentines Mansions Valentines Mansions

Valentines Mansion is more than 300 years old.

The house was built in around 1696 for Elizabeth Tillotson and her family, after the death of her husband, the Archbishop of Canterbury.

At that time the new brick house stood in open countryside, several miles from the edge of London.
Valentines has changed hands many times since then. City merchant and banker Robert Surman bought the estate in 1720s and created the walled gardens, dovecote and grottoes.
In the 1760s owner Sir Charles Raymond spent part of his fortune renovating Valentines, giving the house its Georgian appearance.

Sarah Ingleby, the last private resident of Valentines, died in 1906 and the Council acquired the house in 1912. Since then, the mansion has been home to wartime refugees, a hospital, a public health centre, and a council housing department.

After standing empty for 15 years, Valentines has now been restored with Redbridge council and Heritage Lottery funds, and strong community support to create the historic but contemporary venue it is today.

Ghost hunting event photo Kelvedon Hatch Kelvedon Hatch

Come and witness the three lives of the bunker starting with its role as an RAF ROTOR Station, then a brief period as a civil defence centre through to its most recent life as a Regional Government HQ. Designed for up to 600 military and civilian personnel, possibly even the Prime Minister, their collective task being to organise the survival of the population in the awful aftermath of a nuclear war.

The Bunker had three main lives. Initially as an RAF ROTOR Station and latterly a Regional Government Headquarters, with a brief period in the 1960's as a civil defence centre. There were also spare bunk beds in the tunnel, to help accommodate some of the hundreds of civilian and military personnel that would be stationed here in time of nuclear attack. The bunker was built on land requisitioned from the local farmer J.A.Parrish.

Paradoxically as the heat of the Cold War died down, the bunker and it's ancillary systems were no longer required by the Government, and were costing up to 3 million pounds a year to keep on standby. Upon decommissioning in 1992 the bunker was bought back from the government by the Parrish family, at a closed bid public auction, and hence is now privately owned.