Ghost Hunting Events

Southern Ghost Society, ghost hunts and paranormal experience events we have planned.

These events are available to anyone over the age of 16. Being a society, booking priority is given to our members, so why not register now and be advised in advance of all our new events.

Registration is free and membership to the Southern Ghost Society is also free. We do have to make a charge to cover the costs of arranging the events. This charge is on a per person basis and is fully inclusive unless otherwise stated. Prices and full details are only available to registered members.

  Date Location Availability
Ghost hunting event photo Secret Location 30 March 2018 Secret Location

Don't miss this opportunity to join us on an investigation at a venue exclusive to Southern Ghost Society.

This Venue originally opened in 1870 as part of the huge Military Hospital and was a dedicated asylum facility for military personnel who were believed to be suffering from mental illness. Its construction was in response to the Lunacy Act of 1845 which stated that the mad could be brought back to sanity?. It is now known that the psychiatric conditions being treated were, most likely, shellshock or PTSD, however, at the time, this illness was not well understood and treatment was, by modern standards, highly experimental and often extremely cruel, leading to a significant number of suicides and escape attempts by patients.

The nature of the building and the perceived risk to the local community from patients explains its location in the far corner of the hospital complex, the high walls around the House and the fact that the original windows could only be opened a few inches. Inside, the apparently light and spacious design disguised padded cells and heavy prison-like doors. The House initially treated patients from the Crimean War and demand soared during WW1 as a result of the emergence of shellshock requiring temporary extensions to be built. Treatment in what was known as D block included rest, hypnotism and electric shock treatment. Suspicion that patients were cowards faking illness to escape warfare were fuelled by Sunday enforced marches with local people viewing them as cowards.

Southern Ghost Society is delighted to be able to offer an opportunity to conduct a paranormal investigation at this amazing location. Our initial ghost hunt revealed a magnitude of apparently paranormal activity, including shadowy figures, unexplained sounds of footsteps and voices when there was no-one there, sudden drops in temperature, lights switching on and off, superb séances with contact being made with former patients?

To find out more please become a member and email the team........Please note, this venue is exclusive to Southern Ghost Society and its members

Ghost hunting event photo Preston Manor 07 April 2018 Preston Manor
Preston Drove, Hove, Brighton BN1 6SD
Preston Manor has a long-established reputation as a site of paranormal activity, and it has been described as one of Britain's most haunted houses. Ghosts allegedly seen since the 19th century include a grey-clad woman, a blonde woman who revealed herself to be an excommunicated nun, a floating hand and a toy tractor-riding phantom.

The blonde nun (often called 'The White Lady') is the earliest and most famous purported ghost: first mentioned in the 16th century, the frequency of its appearance peaked at the end of the 19th century, and it was last recorded in 1903. One of Eleanor Stanford's children from her second marriage, already familiar with the descriptions of the ghost, encountered it in 1896, walking from the drawing room to the staircase. The apparition disappeared when the child tried to touch it. Soon afterwards, another daughter apparently saw the same figure at the top of the stairs.

Later in 1896, a friend of the Stanford family, who was staying at Preston Manor in the hope of seeing the White Lady, encountered it in the entrance hall. The man found out (supposedly through talking to the ghost) that it was the spirit of a nun who had been excommunicated and buried on unconsecrated land. More details—including that there were two ghosts, both of whom were nuns who had been excommunicated in about 1535 by a friar, even though one had done no wrong—emerged at a séance held in late 1896.

Early in 1897, the skeleton of a middle-aged woman, whose remains were dated to the 16th century by a doctor, was found behind the house during building work; it was secretly buried on consecrated ground in St Peter's churchyard, with help from the Stanford family. A séance held in 1898 reputedly made contact with the now pacified spirits, and only two more sightings occurred of a spirit with the characteristic long fair hair: both in 1903, once in a billiard room and once in a bedroom. White-clad female spirits were also reported by passers-by in 1976 and 1992 in the grounds of the manor, though.
The same daughter who allegedly saw the ghost on the staircase also reported seeing two phantom men apparently fighting on another staircase on the southwest side earlier in the 19th century.Early in the 20th century, she also reported an 'immensely evil' presence in the southwest bedroom, moving around the room and then leaning over the bed. In the same room, a visitor to the house once observed a floating hand, not attached to any arm, attaching itself to her four-poster bed and moving up and down it. Another visitor later reported an identical experience, and also reported that the bed seemed to be shaking during the encounter. The southwest side of the building was apparently a focus for paranormal activity: strange noises, objects being moved, dresses being cut with regular patterns of holes, and doors opening and shutting were all reported there.

A grey-clad female ghost was reported several times throughout the 20th century. Reputed sightings included one in the boiler room of the house, early in the 20th century; two in quick succession by a World War II fire watcher, first on the main staircase then on the parapet of the roof; and one by a security guard. Another security guard reported a ghost in old-fashioned black clothing walking across a landing in the 1990s.

We would love you to join us on this exciting paranormal investigation, through which we can gain an insight into past times and, with the help of the ghosts of those who still frequent the site, relive the spirit of Preston Manor.

Ghost hunting event photo Carew Castle 28 April 2018 Carew Castle
Castle Lane, Carew SA70 8SL
This investigation takes the team back to Wales to the amazing Carew Castle.

Carew Castle, At the end of the 11th century became the centre of Norman rule in South Pembrokeshire after they extended their conquest of England into Wales.
Henry I appointed Gerald de Windsor as constable and he decided to build his own fortification on the Carew River, ten miles up the tidal waterway from Pembroke. Excavation has revealed an Iron Age settlement on the site which unearthed large quantities of Roman pottery and furthermore a Dark Age settlement or fort may also have existed on the site.

The original wood and earth Castle was later replaced by stone and in the late fifteenth century the Castle was greatly improved and extended by a very colourful and interesting character, Sir Rhys ap Thomas. Sir Rhys altered both the west and east ranges, and was responsible for many of the Bath stone windows and other many other features. Sir Rhys ap Thomas was said 'to rule this corner of Wales like a King' and in doing so gain the trust of both Henry VII and Henry VIII.

Sir John Perrot, oversaw the final development of Carew Castle taking it from a Medieval fortress to a lavish Elizabethan manor building the great northern range, with its huge windows overlooking the Millpond. Despite all his hard work and renovation, Sir John would not enjoy his magnificent new home, for he died in the Tower of London before the work could be completed.

Sir George Carew owned the castle during the Civil War the Castle, but it was garrisoned at different times by both royalists and parliamentarians, and changed hands four times, on at least one occasion following a fierce assault. Following the Civil War, the Castle was occupied for some years, but eventually abandoned in 1686. In 1983 the National Park Authority leased the Castle and surrounding area for a further 99 years.

From the paranormal side, Carew Castle has it fair share of ghost stories and tales. There are thought to be several ghosts active at Carew Castle. A warrior, known as the Celtic warrior is said to haunt the battlements and it has been reported on several occasions still trying to defend the castle. Reports of noises of pots and pans clanking have been heard from the kitchen, thought to be the sounds of the kitchen boy and his mischievous ways.

Many people from Carew village will tell you of their encounters with a kindly spirit who walks the ruins in daylight or in the flood of the full moon. Princess Nest was said to be the most beautiful woman in Wales, who still welcomes visitors to her castle just as she would have done 900 years ago.

With ghostly spirits, some welcoming and some not so, Child spirts and even the ghost of an ape which is said to appear on a stormy night, we are surely to be in for a night to remember

Join Us

Ghost hunting event photo Fort Widley 12 May 2018 Fort Widley
Portsdown Hill Rd, Portsmouth PO6 3LS
The impressive and imposing Fort Widley was built between 1861 and 1870 to defend against invasion, but do the spirits of those who reportedly haunt this atmospheric site still find protection within its walls?

Fort Widley, part of the group of Forts on Portsdown Hill named after the then Prime Minister Lord Palmerston, was constructed in response to the potential danger of attacks on the Portsmouth Dockyards by the French, either by sea or by land approaching from the north after landing along the coast. By the time this immensely expensive project was completed, the threat of attack had passed, armament design had improved and the site consequently became known as Palmerston's Follies.

The Fort, which is encircled by a dry moat, has a central parade ground and it is via a spiral staircase from here that access is gained to the amazing four underground tunnels leading to the gun batteries, barracks and vaulted main magazine which could house 2500 barrels of gun powder. It is within these intriguing tunnels that most of the reported paranormal activity has been experienced. Will our ghost hunt awaken the spirits and uncover the truth behind the hearing of whispered voices, or the throwing of stones by unseen forces, or will we hear the running steps of a young drummer boy said to have fallen to his death down the spiral staircase whilst being chased through the tunnels by an Officer seeking to administer punishment.

Soldiers of the Royal Artillery were barracked at Fort Widley between its initial decommissioning and 1939. The Fort then became a Royal Engineers? Bomb Disposal base and, during WW2, it was used to hold prisoners of war. Perhaps it is the ghost of one of these prisoners whose footsteps or knocking can be heard on the Fort Keep, or has a whistling former Sergeant Major come out of the Mess for a nightly stroll?

This amazing military site which has seen decades of history right through from the 1860s to its conversion to a control centre against nuclear attack up to the end of the Cold War, is a perfect location for our paranormal investigation. Join us on this ghost hunt and, as well as the fantastic views of Portsmouth and the surrounding area, perhaps we will also have the pleasure of seeing our torch lights being joined by the lanterns seen to be carried by the spirits which still inhabit this setting.
Book Now

Ghost hunting event photo Leap Castle 03 November 2018 Leap Castle
Leap Castle, Coolderry, Co. Offaly
It has taken over 10 years, countless emails and research but we have finally managed to gain access to the amazing Leap Castle.

Depending on your source of information, there are varied accounts as to when exactly the castle, specifically the Castle Keep and Tower was constructed, however what we do know is that it’s as early as the 13th to as late as the 15th century, but most likely around 1250 CE.
Originally called “Leap of the O'Bannons”, Leap Castle was built by the O’Bannon clan on the site as another ancient stone structure perhaps ceremonial in nature which has been occupied consistently since at least the Iron Age (500 BCE).

Around the mid 1500’s the castle was owned by the O’Carroll clan, but their stay was plagued by family feuds and fierce rivalry, especially following the death of Mulrooney O’Carroll. The battle for power between the brothers led to an event which gave the infamous name to “The Bloody Chapel”. During a mass in the chapel, the brother burst in and drove his sword into his priest brother, killing him across the altar.

In 1659, the castle was passed to of the Darby family, by marriage which contained notable members which included Vice-Admiral George Darby, Admiral Sir Henry D'Esterre Darby and John Nelson Darby. During the tenure of Jonathan Charles Darby, séances were held in the castle by his wife Mildred Darby who was a writer of Gothic novels. This is the earliest point in history of the reported haunting and led to publicity about the castle and its ghosts. Mildred Darby tells of the noises like furniture being moved were frequently heard at night and strangers staying with us have often asked why the servants turned out the rooms at such an unusual hour the front-door bell sometimes rang, and I have gone down, but found no one.”

The current owner Sean Ryan, along with previous owners have experienced poltergeist activity during their restoration efforts. Sean Ryan has spoken about his tools getting moved to the far corners of the room and even one occurrence where the ladder he was working on was pushed away from the wall forcing him to jump several stories, fracturing his knee. Upon resuming work, another accident resulted in a broken ankle.

The most famous of them all, and no doubt the scariest is that of the elemental. It is an entity that is shrouded in mystery and intrigue. An early belief is that the Elemental was put there by druids long before the castle was built to protect the sacred site used for initiations and druidic magic, another is that the Elemental was placed there by an invading force to burn the castle from the inside. The most common theory is that this entity is not human, and my never has had been as is responsible for the Poltergeist and mysterious activity at the castle.

With over 10 reported ghosts, the site of Civil war and bloody battles and ghost dating back to the 1600’s, there is no wonder this castle is reported to be the most haunted location in Ireland.

Join Us!



Planned Ghost Hunting Events

In addition to our confirmed ghost hunting events we have penciled in the following preliminary investigation locations. So don't forget to bookmark this page Click here to bookmark these events! and return soon for confirmed dates. Southern Ghost Society members are emailed as soon as new events are confirmed another good reason to join us.
Ghost hunting event photo Woodchester Mansion Woodchester Mansion

The Grade 1 listed Woodchster Mansion, located in the beautiful Cotswolds in Gloucestershire, is absolutely unique in that its construction was never completed Will our ghost hunt help reconstruct the past through the spirits, who may still haunt this magnificent location ?

Building of this superb Gothic building with its stone vaulted ceilings, gargoyles, grand staircase and impressive chapel was started in the1850s. Will the ghosts of any of the 7 workmen who died, 6 from accidents and 1 from a reported murder, return, through our presence, to reclaim their tools which still remain on the site ?

Can we verify reports of a headless horseman said to ride in the grounds and to be the apparition of Sir Rupert de Lansigny who killed his cousin to inherit the large park and the former house demolished to enable construction of the current Mansion ? What happened to the spirit of the Dominican Monk who drowned himself in one of the park lakes and who is the man seen walking along the corridor to the Chapel, but never entering that room or the shadow of a man staring up at the stained glass windows ? Most intriguingly, are the reported sightings of a black dog wandering through the Mansion the ghostly representation of those linked to the building ?

Join us on a paranormal investigation night to remember as we go back in time at Woodchester Mansion and seek to uncover the truth behind the ghostly hosts of our visit.

Ghost hunting event photo Royal Victoria Country Park Royal Victoria Country Park

The Royal Victoria Military Hospital, or Netley Hospital was a large military hospital in Netley, near Southampton, Hampshire, England. Construction started in 1856 at the suggestion of Queen Victoria but its design caused some controversy, chiefly from Florence Nightingale. Often visited by Queen Victoria, the hospital was extensively used during the First World War.

It became the 28th US General Hospital from 1944 to 1945 during the Invasion of Europe. The main building - the world's longest building when it was completed - was entirely demolished in 1966, except for the chapel and former YMCA building which are both still standing. The extensive outbuildings, which once occupied a vast acreage of land to the rear of the main building, finally succumbed in 1978. The site of the hospital can be seen and explored in Royal Victoria Country Park.

Ghost hunting event photo Explosion Museum at Priddy's Hard Explosion Museum at Priddy's Hard

We are delighted to announce a further event, this time at the magnificent Explosion ! The Museum of Naval Firepower, based within 18th century buildings at the Royal Navy's former armaments depot of Priddy's Hard, in Gosport.

Since its completion in 1756, this depot has played an active part in conflicts from the Napoleonic Wars right through to the Falklands War. Just imagine the experiences of the thousands who worked (and died) in such a dangerous environment.

What caused the explosion which killed 27 people ? To whom do the ghostly footsteps belong and why is this person knocking on the door ? What causes a heavy chain to swing for no apparent reason and is the reported unnatural gust of wind really the spirit of a labourer who died at the scene ? Will we witness the manifestation of Edward George McBride on the exact same spot where he was killed nearly 90 years ago ?

So many reported paranormal experiences, which surely merits further investigation. We'd love you to join us for what is certain to be a fabulous Ghost Hunt night

We will have the pleasure of exploring this historical site away from the usual visiting crowds the only company we may have is from the past !

Ghost hunting event photo The Rifles Museum The Rifles Museum

The Royal Berkshire Regiment, with its Museum in Brock Barracks, Oxford Road, Reading, and The Wiltshire Regiment, whose Museum was in Le Marchant Barracks, London Road, Devizes, merged in 1959 to become the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire). However the two Museums continued on their separate sites for a number of years.

n the 1970s a new united site for both Regimental Headquarters and Museum Official Opening was sought in Salisbury. The Wardrobe, at first rejected on the grounds of the expense of conversion, was eventually selected and a 99 year lease was purchased from the Dean & Chapter of Salisbury Cathedral. The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment Museum was officially opened by HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel-in-Chief of the Regiment, on 29 July 1982. As part of a program to widen the appeal of the Museum the name "Redcoats in the Wardrobe" was adopted in 1991.

In 1994 the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment amalgamated with the Gloucestershire Regiment to form the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment. The Museum changed its name to reflect this, becoming the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment (Salisbury) Museum. The Museum was (and is) only concerned with the Berkshire and Wiltshire elements, the collection and archives of the Gloucestershire Regiment are housed in the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum, Custom House, Gloucester GL1 2HE.

Ghost hunting event photo Valentines Mansions Valentines Mansions

Valentines Mansion is more than 300 years old.

The house was built in around 1696 for Elizabeth Tillotson and her family, after the death of her husband, the Archbishop of Canterbury.

At that time the new brick house stood in open countryside, several miles from the edge of London.
Valentines has changed hands many times since then. City merchant and banker Robert Surman bought the estate in 1720s and created the walled gardens, dovecote and grottoes.
In the 1760s owner Sir Charles Raymond spent part of his fortune renovating Valentines, giving the house its Georgian appearance.

Sarah Ingleby, the last private resident of Valentines, died in 1906 and the Council acquired the house in 1912. Since then, the mansion has been home to wartime refugees, a hospital, a public health centre, and a council housing department.

After standing empty for 15 years, Valentines has now been restored with Redbridge council and Heritage Lottery funds, and strong community support to create the historic but contemporary venue it is today.

Ghost hunting event photo Kelvedon Hatch Kelvedon Hatch

Come and witness the three lives of the bunker starting with its role as an RAF ROTOR Station, then a brief period as a civil defence centre through to its most recent life as a Regional Government HQ. Designed for up to 600 military and civilian personnel, possibly even the Prime Minister, their collective task being to organise the survival of the population in the awful aftermath of a nuclear war.

The Bunker had three main lives. Initially as an RAF ROTOR Station and latterly a Regional Government Headquarters, with a brief period in the 1960's as a civil defence centre. There were also spare bunk beds in the tunnel, to help accommodate some of the hundreds of civilian and military personnel that would be stationed here in time of nuclear attack. The bunker was built on land requisitioned from the local farmer J.A.Parrish.

Paradoxically as the heat of the Cold War died down, the bunker and it's ancillary systems were no longer required by the Government, and were costing up to 3 million pounds a year to keep on standby. Upon decommissioning in 1992 the bunker was bought back from the government by the Parrish family, at a closed bid public auction, and hence is now privately owned.